Champions League Matchday Three – How Do Things Stand?
It’s been something of an unusual year so far in the Champions League, we have seen some predictable results for teams, some of European football’s big hitters doing very well (Barcelona and Juventus notably, but also special mention too for Inter Milan) whereas some of the other big boys have already suffered at least one defeat in the tournament so far this season, including three of last year’s semi-finalists.
That has caused a few strange results and of course, these can prove a bit of a problem to tip correctly, but even so, I’ve made some nice profits over my tips in the Champions League in recent weeks and I am hopeful that we can do again this week as we look ahead to what could be a pivotal Matchday Three in the tournament.
As always, if you fancy a bet on the Champions League, then bet365 Sport is the place to go. If you are not yet a customer, then use the latest bet365 Sport New Player Bonus to help you sign up and you’ll earn yourself a little bonus extra too for doing so.
Let’s begin with a brief recap of how Matchday Two went and the current standings in the Champions League , before we then look ahead to how Matchday Three is looking and our tips for the games.
|Bet365||Up to £100 in Bet Credits for new customers.||Bet365 Online Casino|
Min deposit £5 and 1x settled bet requirement to release Bet Credits. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply.
Champions League Matchday 2 Results
Tue 2nd October
- Hoffenheim 1-2 Manchester City
- Juventus 3-0 Young Boys
- AEK Athens 2-3 Benfica
- CSKA Moscow 1-0 Real Madrid
- Bayern Munich 1-1 Ajax
- Man Utd 0-0 Valencia
- Lyon 2-2 Shakhtar Donetsk
- Roma 5-0 Viktoria Plzen
Wed 3rd October
- Paris St Germain 6-1 Red Star Belgrade
- Lokomotiv Moscow 0-1 Schalke 04
- Napoli 1-0 Liverpool
- FC Porto 1-0 Galatasaray
- PSV Eindhoven 1-2 Inter
- Borussia Dortmund 3-0 AS Monaco
- Tottenham 2-4 Barcelona
- Atletico Madrid 3-1 Club Brugge
Champions League Tables
Group A Table
Group B Table
Group C Table
|3||Paris St Germain||2||1||0||1||8||4||+5||3|
|4||Red Star Belgrade||2||0||1||1||1||6||-5||0|
Group D Table
Group E Table
Group F Table
Group G Table
Group H Table
Matchday Three Tips –
All odds correct with bet365 Sport as of 12.40 on Thu 11th Oct 2018.
Wed 24th Oct – 5.55pm – Club Brugge v AS Monaco
Neither of these sides have impressed me a great deal in this tournament this season and as such, I think this game has the look of a somewhat dour 0-0 between two sides struggling for form.
- Full Time Result – Draw – 12/5
- Correct Score – Club Bruges 0-0 AS Monaco – 11/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Draw/No – 11/1
Wed 24th Oct – 8pm – Borussia Dortmund v Atletico Madrid
Both these teams are dominating Group A and I expect them both to qualify. Dortmund have home advantage but that Atletico defence should be enough for them to earn a point here.
- Full Time Result – Draw – 12/5
- Correct Score – B.Dortmund 1 Atletico Madrid 1 – 11/2
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Draw / Yes – 7/2
Wed 24th Oct – 5.55pm – PSV Eindhoven v Tottenham
After two defeats in their opening two games, both these teams are in desperate trouble. Spurs have the quality but PSV are tough to beat at home and I think as a result, this may end up as a draw.
- Full Time Result – Draw – 13/5
- Correct Score – PSV Eindhoven 1 Tottenham 1 – 6/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Draw / Yes – 10/3
Wed 24th Oct – 8pm – Barcelona v Inter Milan
Lionel Messi has tore apart both PSV and Spurs in his last two games in this competition, I am backing him to make it a hat-trick here against the Italians at the Nou Camp.
- Full Time Result – Barcelona to win – 2/7
- Correct Score – Barcelona 3-0 Inter Milan – 8/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Barcelona / No – 11/8
Wed 24th Oct – 8pm – Liverpool v Red Star Belgrade
Losing in the last minute is a real killer, but so is losing 6-1. So both these teams come into this game with a point to prove. However, this is at Anfield, so this should be a straightforward Liverpool win.
- Full Time Result – Liverpool to win – 1/25
- Correct Score – Liverpool 4-0 Red Star Belgrade – 6/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Liverpool / No – 1/2
Wed 24th Oct – 8pm – Paris St Germain v Napoli
Napoli earned a last gasp win over Liverpool but they face a huge test here against freescoring PSG in Paris. As much as I like how Napoli play, this should be a big home win for Neymar and Co.
- Full Time Result – Paris St Germain to win – 9/20
- Correct Score – Paris St Germain 4-0 Napoli – 18/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Paris St Germain / No – 15/8
Wed 24th Oct – 8pm – Galatasaray v Schalke 04
I was very surprised Schalke manged to win in Moscow last time out, but I can’t see them repeating the feat here. They may grab a goal, but I think this is a home win all the way.
- Full Time Result – Galatasaray to win – 8/5
- Correct Score – Galatasaray 3 Schalke 04 1 – 20/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Galatasaray / Yes – 9/2
Wed 24th Oct – 8pm – Lokomotiv Moscow v FC Porto
Lokomotiv are not the best side in this competition but FC Porto are not the best on the road. As such, I think a draw is the most likely outcome here which may suit both teams.
- Full Time Result – Draw – 23/10
- Correct Score – Lokomotiv Moscow 1-1 FC Porto – 5/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Draw/Yes – 4/1
Tue 23rd Oct – 5.55pm – AEK Athens v Bayern Munich
Bayern only drew with Ajax last time out and they are not performing well in the league. Despite that they are a class above AEK and I am expecting them to land the win here in comfortable fashion.
- Full Time Result – Bayern Munich to Win – 2/9
- Correct Score – AEK Athens 0 Bayern Munich 2 – 6/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Bayern Munich/No – 20/21
Tue 23rd Oct – 8pm – Ajax v Benfica
Ajax have started this Champions League campaign very well and a point in Germany means that I fancy them to pick up the full three points here against a less than stellar Benfica side.
- Full Time Result – Ajax to win – 19/20
- Correct Score – Ajax 2 Benfica 1 – 15/2
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Ajax / Yes – 3/1
Tue 23rd Oct – 8pm – Hoffenheim v Lyon
Hoffenheim look like they are a freescoring team, as do Lyon but I think both will tighten up defensively here and given the balance of this game, I think a draw is the sensible choice.
- Full Time Result – Draw – 12/5
- Correct Score – Hoffenheim 1 Lyon 1 – 11/2
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Draw / Yes – 11/4
Tue 23rd Oct – 8pm – Shakhtar Donetsk v Man City
Donetsk were the first team to beat Manchester City last season, in this competition, but I think the reverse will happen this time around with City looking in very solid form.
- Full Time Result – Man City to win – 2/5
- Correct Score – Shakhtar Donetsk 1 Manchester City 3 – 9/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Man City/Yes – 15/8
Tue 23rd Oct – 8pm – Real Madrid v Viktoria Plzen
Real will bounce back with a win against Plzen at the Bernebeu I am sure, with that loss to CSKA being a minor blip in my view. I’m expecting a dominant display from the home team here.
- Full Time Result – Real Madrid to win – 1/12
- Correct Score – Real Madrid 4-0 Viktoria Plzen – 13/2
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Real Madrid / No – 8/13
Tue 23rd Oct – 8pm – AS Roma v CSKA Moscow
Roma thumped Viktoria Plzen last time out on home soil and I think they are going to get a similar result against CSKA, despite CSKA’s shock win over Real Madrid last time out.
- Full Time Result – AS Roma to win – 1/3
- Correct Score – AS Roma 3-0 CSKA Moscow – 15/2
- Result/Both Teams to Score – AS Roma/No – 6/5
Tue 23rd Oct – 8pm – Man Utd v Juventus
Cristiano Ronaldo will be available for selection against his former club in what should be a cracking game, but given United’s form, I think Juventus start as the favourites to land the win here.
- Full Time Result – Juventus to win – 5/4
- Correct Score – Manchester United 1 Juventus 2 – 8/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Juventus/Yes – 15/4
Tue 23rd Oct – 5.55pm – Young Boys v Valencia
This should be a comfortable evening for Valencia. The Spaniards don’t score too many but Young Boys are out of their depth at this level, so I am expecting a narrow win for the visitors.
- Full Time Result – Valencia to win – Evens
- Correct Score – Young Boys 0 Valencia 1 – 7/1
- Result/Both Teams to Score – Valencia/No – 5/2